Crash with enabled Hermes engine on React Native Android

The app starts crashing for release build on start if I enable Hermes engine for Android.

com.facebook.jni.CppException: Could not get BatchedBridge, make sure your bundle is packaged correctly
        at com.facebook.react.bridge.queue.NativeRunnable.run(Native Method)
        at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:873)
        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
        at com.facebook.react.bridge.queue.MessageQueueThreadHandler.dispatchMessage(Unknown Source:0)
        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:201)
        at com.facebook.react.bridge.queue.MessageQueueThreadImpl$4.run(Unknown Source:37)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:764)

And the app is running fine if I remove the calls library from dependencies
"@cometchat-pro/react-native-calls": "1.0.7",

Any ideas what is the problem here?

I would like to use react-native-reanimated v2 and Hermes engine on Android is required. Can anybody help me with this issue?

How is this Pro - Support thing working? No replies in one week. Should I wait longer or no one care and it’s already a dead thread?

Hey @dimaportenko,
We have created an internal issue and currently looking into it. We will get back to you soon.

Warm Regards,

CometChat Pro
Tirath Bhuva

Thank you for the update.

@dimaportenko please feel free to email us at help (at) cometchat.com or start a conversation using Intercom in our Dashboard, so that it’s easier for us to communicate and keep you updated on this issue.

Support reply
At present, CometChat doesn't have support for the Hermes engine However, I have created a feature request

https://cometchat.canny.io/cometchat-pro-feature-requests/p/support-for-hermes-engine-in-calling-component

1 Like

I tried to run the project on iOS with Hermes and it’s working fine. So I assume it’s not a compatibility issue with Hermes itself.